Saturday, April 5, 2008

More Random Thoughts About Mama



Today it is one year since Mama passed away. Time goes by so quickly! Time, as we know it, has ceased to be for her, and she is experiencing what glory is like!

I've been thinking lately about how hard it must have been for Mama after Daddy died. How do you adjust to losing someone who has been your companion for over 50 years? I wish now that I had been more supportive to her, but I guess I was lost in my own grief. The last few years before Daddy passed on, he was very ill, and Mama cared for him here in their little home. She was with him here when he had his final episode.

I've been remembering how she used to sew for us. Being a tom-boy, I didn't fully appreciate the dresses she made for me, but when I was in high school, wool plaid slacks were the rage(??), and she made me two pairs - blue and red. I can still see her frantically finishing up the red pair so I could wear them to a basketball game!

Others have been thinking of Mama too. The other day my neighbor lady came to the front door with a ziploc bag of home made cookies. She said they were Mama's recipe - "a cup of everything." I thanked her, and as she was leaving, she said "They probably aren't as good as hers. She always brought me cookies."

Good news these days isn't nearly as much fun as it used to be, because she isn't here to share it with. I like to think that she knows anyway, and is just as pleased as she would be if she were here! We'll always miss you Mama, no matter how much time goes by!

I've posted the lyrics to one of Mama's favorite songs. In them we find the source of her strength and deep faith.

Sitting at the feet of Jesus, oh, what words I hear Him say!

Happy place! So near, so precious! May it find me there each day.

Sitting at the feet of Jesus, I would look upon the past;

For His love has been so gracious, it has won my heart at last.



Sitting at the feet of Jesus, where can mortal be more blest?

There I lay my sins and sorrows, and, when weary, find sweet rest.

Sitting at the feet of Jesus, there I love to weep and pray;

While I from His fullness gather grace and comfort every day.



Bless me, O my Savior, bless me, as I sit low at Thy feet.

Oh, look down in love upon me. Let me see Thy face so sweet.

Give me, Lord, the mind of Jesus. Keep me holy as He is.

May I prove I’ve been with Jesus, Who is all my righteousness.


Photo: Mama as a little girl in the 1920's with her Aunt Bernice's doggy, Rags.