Tuesday, April 1, 2008

How Can I Keep From Singing?

Today the sun is shining on yet another layer of fresh snow! Winter doesn't want to give up yet! At least we know it is almost over now!

I finished my re-wiring project, and have moved on now to texturing the kitchen ceiling. Then I will paint it and install my new kitchen light. I have someone coming to look at my chimney, because it needs work. Hope it isn't too expensive!

Sunday evening a chamber choir from a nearby private school held a concert in our church. I love to hear a choir sing because it takes me back to my days in the choir. I enjoyed the entire concert, but one song keeps floating through my mind. I am told it is an old Quaker hymn, a fact I was not aware of. I have loved it for years. Here are the lyrics:

My life goes on in endless song
Above earth's lamentations,
I hear the real, though far-off hymn
That hails a new creation.

Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear it's music ringing,
It sounds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing?

While though the tempest loudly roars,
I hear the truth, it liveth.
And though the darkness round me close,
Songs in the night it giveth.

No storm can shake my inmost calm,
While to that rock I'm clinging.
Since Love is Lord of heaven and earth
How can I keep from singing?