Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Little Things

O Lord, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.
Psalm 131:1, 2

I am reminded today that God is not too busy ruling his universe to be concerned with how I live my everyday life. In my daily Bible reading recently I have been reading the prophetic books, and I have to say it can be very depressing! All the death and destruction, gloom and doom. I have thought to myself, "Why don't these people learn? They have seen the result of their idol worship and immorality." Then I came to the book of Amos, chapter 8 where it reads:

Hear this, you who trample on the needy and bring the poor of the land to an end, saying, “When will the new moon be over, that we may sell grain? And the Sabbath, that we may offer wheat for sale, that we may make the ephah small and the shekel great and deal deceitfully with false balances, that we may buy the poor for silver and the needy for a pair of sandals and sell the chaff of the wheat?

No mention here of any "great" sin; just every day
things where people were falling short of
what God intended for them. If you read on further, it describes all the consequences in store for them.
It is clear to me that the Lord cares about "the little things."

I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that
no one may seize your crown. Rev 3:11

Photo: Bunny tracks in the fresh snow