Monday, October 1, 2007

Alone

Frequently, people will say to me, "I don't know how you manage being alone." I usually say something like: "I'm used to it now" or "I've been alone for a long time." That really doesn't answer the question they imply, and I want to take a minute to answer it here.

Simply put, I am never alone. I am almost constantly aware of the presence of the Lord in my life. I see His beauty all around: the flowers, the changing seasons, beautiful little children, friends and family to enjoy, and lovely memories of those gone on. I am reminded of His goodness. How blessed I am - I have need of nothing! My home, my church, my job - it's all good! I try not to focus on the negatives, but I take time to appreciate the "little things." I find this very moving.

Last evening in church, Pastor Jake spoke of Abraham and his obedience when God asked him to sacrifice his only son Isaac. He could have ignored God, or decided that he misunderstood. I'm sure in his mind he was questioning why God would take away his only son, the fulfillment of His promise. But Abraham remembered God's faithfulness to him, and decided to trust Him. When God saw Abraham's willingness to obey and his trust, he provided the ram to use as the sacrifice instead.

If we take a minute to review how blessed we are, it is easier to trust God for our future. If we notice how God has turned things around for our good, it will replace our fear with joy and peace.

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Ephesians 3:14 - 21